Computer and Information Systems Managers
Computer and information systems managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of organizations that analyze, design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of information systems and electronic data processing (EDP) departments and companies
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for electronic data processing and computer systems development and operations
- Meet with clients to discuss system requirements, specifications, costs and timelines
- Assemble and manage teams of information systems personnel to design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems
- Control the budget and expenditures of the department, company or project
- Recruit and supervise computer analysts, engineers, programmers, technicians and other personnel and oversee their professional development and training.
- systems development manager
- software engineering manager
- software development manager
- data centre manager
- data processing and systems analysis manager
- computer systems manager
- data processing director
- management information system (MIS) manager
- electronic data processing (EDP) manager
(Government of Canada National Occupation Classification)
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Able to work independently
- Time management
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Most university programs in Ontario require an OSSD or Mature Student Status
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is usually required
- Several years of experience in systems analysis, data administration, software engineering, network design or computer programming, including supervisory experience, are required.
Potential Earnings in Durham Region
The average and median wages and salaries for individuals employed as computer and information systems managers are as follows. Place of Residence (POR) is defined as individuals who reside within the Durham Region. Place of Work (POW) is defined as individuals who are employed within the Durham Region.
|Median Wages and Salaries (POR)||Average Wages and Salaries (POR)||Median Wages and Salaries (POW)||Average Wages and Salaries (POW)|
|Industry (NAICS)||Jobs in Durham Region (POW)||Durham Region Residents Employed (POR)|
|5415 – Computer Systems Design and Related Services||155||450|
(Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development 2016 data in Durham Workforce Authority’s 2017 Sector Report)