Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters, Poultry Preparers and Related Workers
Workers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing or for packaging for wholesale distribution. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
- Slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives
- Skin, clean and trim carcasses
- Remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses
- Split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling
- May slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
Industrial meat cutters
- Cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging
- Remove bones from meat
- Cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use
- Remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
- Slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts
- Remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Industrial Butcher
- Beef Boner
- Poultry Preparer
- Industrial Meat Cutter
- Meat Trimmer
(Government of Canada National Occupation Classification)
- Critical Thinking
- Judgement and Decision Making
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Completion of secondary school may be required
- For industrial meat cutters, completion of a program in industrial meat cutting is required
- Experience as an industrial butcher is required
- On-the-job training is provided for industrial butchers, meat cutters and poultry preparers
Potential Earnings in Durham Region
The average and median wages and salaries for individuals employed in this unit group are as follows. Place of Residence (POR) is defined as individuals who reside within the Durham Region. Place of Work (POW) is defined as individuals who are employed within the Durham Region.
|Median Wages and Salaries (POR)||Average Wages and Salaries (POR)||Median Wages and Salaries (POW)||Average Wages and Salaries (POW)|
|Industry (NAICS)||Jobs in Durham Region (POW)||Durham Region Residents Employed (POR)|
|311 – Food Manufacturing||15||15|
(Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development 2016 data in Durham Workforce Authority’s 2017 Sector Report)