Other Sales Related Occupations
This unit group includes workers who sell goods or services during home demonstrations or by telephone soliciting, retail exhibitions or street vending. They are employed by a wide range of retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturers, telemarketing companies and call centres, or they may be self-employed.
- Direct distributors contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
- Door-to-door salespersons solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
- Street vendors set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
- Telephone solicitors and telemarketers contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services.
- Demonstrators arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
- telephone solicitor
- street vendor
- direct distributor – retail
- home demonstrator – retail
- door-to-door salesperson
- demonstrator – retail
- canvasser – retail
(Government of Canada National Occupation Classification)
- Verbal communication
- Customer service
- Time management
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Some secondary education is usually required. An OSSD may be required by some employers.
- Most college/university programs in Ontario require an OSSD or Mature Student Status
- Not required
- Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant’s permit
Potential Earnings in Durham Region
The average and median wages and salaries for individuals employed in other sales related occupations are as follows. Place of Residence (POR) is defined as individuals who reside within the Durham Region. Place of Work (POW) is defined as individuals who are employed within the Durham Region.
|Median Wages and Salaries (POR)||Average Wages and Salaries (POR)||Median Wages and Salaries (POW)||Average Wages and Salaries (POW)|
|Industry (NAICS)||Jobs in Durham Region (POW)||Durham Region Residents Employed (POR)|
|5614 – Business Support Services||70||95|
(Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development 2016 data in Durham Workforce Authority’s 2017 Sector Report)